Metropolitan Titus II, who was a great builder of institutions, started the Students Conference in 1910. Since then Abraham Mar Thoma, Juhanon Mar Thoma and in fact all the bishops of the church, past and present have given active leadership and made significant contributions to the conference.The conference holds its session annually for 4 or 5 days during the midsummer vacation at a venue which changes from year to year and an average of 300 college / university students from India and abroad attend. All the bishops of the church, a large number of achens and senior friends give leadership. This is a conference in which all the bishops of the church are usually present throughout so as to understand the concerns and the views of the young people and to enable the interaction of the youth with the bishops.
Bible studies in the context of contemporary concerns elicit much interest. Group discussions help the participants to analyse and assess topics of interest in the church and society, and in the national arena. The activities of the students’ conference have enabled youth to dedicate themselves for the full time ministry in the church and have inspired many young men and women to participate in national movements, including the freedom struggle during the 1940.
The Platinum Jubilee of the conference was celebrated in the year 1985. In the Jubilee Year, a hostel for tribal students has been opened near the Students’ Centre at Thrikkakara. This was a new and bold venture of the students’ conference. It was significant that the Students Conference celebrated its Platinum jubilee in the International Year of the Youth.
The Centenary celebration of the Conference was held at Christian Education Centre, Charal Mount in May 2010. The Mar Thoma Gurukulam at Adoor providing accommodation and educational assistance to deserving students is the centenary project of the Students’ Conference.
- Silver Jubilee of the Conference was held in Kottayam. The meeting was inaugurated by Titus II Mar Thoma. Bishop Stephan Neil was the chief guest.
- Golden Jubilee of the Conference was held at Nicholson School, Tiruvalla. The theme of the conference was “Christ, the Light of the World”. Juhanon Mar Thoma Metropolitan presided over the meeting.
- In 1970, the Conference, in its Diamond Jubilee year, was recognized as an Official organization of the Mar Thoma Syrian Church. Dr. Susan George was the president of the Conference.
- A Bylaw for the Conference was constituted in 1992. Rev. Alexander Abraham was the president of the Conference.
- First Conference outside Kerala was held at Lonavala in 2008.
The 105th session of the Mar Thoma Students Conference was arranged at Mar Thoma College, Tiruvalla from 20th- 23rd May, 2015. The theme was session is “Faith Formation in a Changing World”.The 106th Session of the conference was conducted at Christukula Mission Higher Secondary School & College Complex, Satna from 9-12th October 2016. The 107th session of Conference was conducted from 24-27th May 2017 at Mar Thoma College of Management and Technology and Mar Thoma College for Women, Perumbavoor.